Monday, January 1, 2018

Hour of Code - Playground Style

I'm going to state this publicly so perhaps you all can help keep me to this; I'm going to begin a monthly blog. I've struggled to make time to blog in the past, but hopefully my reasoning will help me to be consistent. The purpose of these blogs will be to historically document the things that are happening in my media space, as well as, gain feedback from you experts to help me improve my practices. So here goes...

This past December teachers began talking about how they were going to address their students participating in Hour of Code. I worried students would be asked to turn to their iPads and access apps or sites for an hour and teachers would then check off their "Hour of Code" box. No fault of the teachers here, they have never received any training regarding Hour of Code. They also need to address new technology standards, which again, they have not received any training on. In the past I have also heard students, who were way past spending time on the Scratch programs, complain that they have done this same activity year in and year out. 

I wondered how I could play a roll in giving our students a fun, engaging Hour of Code experience. I took inventory of the amount of codable technology I had procured in recent years and felt I had enough to create stations throughout the library. Using Dash and Dot, Spheros, Sphero Minis, Ozobot, and Bloxels I was able to create 20 stations. All activities were found online and some were tweaked to meet our needs.

The goal of the first four stations was to code a Sphero to roll forward and land on the highest number possible using a rug created for marbles. Students took turns coding their Sphero and attempted to either land on a high number or knock their opponent off.

At another station students were asked to code Dash to free Dot from containment.



Using Ozobots and small bowling pins, students attempted to code their robot to drive around the board and knock all the pins down.


Students really enjoyed coding Dash to drive around a basketball court and launch balls into a basket from 3 different marked locations.


With the Winter Olympics approaching I thought it would be a good idea to introduce the students to one of the events by having them code Mini Spheros on a mini Curling game board. The goal was to code your Mini Sphero to land as close to the target as possible.

Using the xylophone accessory, student DJs entertained the rest of the class by coding Dash to play tunes.

I wanted to introduce students to a unique type of coding through Bloxels. Once they created their object/character/scene they used their iPad camera to scan the image into their game.


Finally, I created 4 miniature golf course holes around the media center. Students coded a Sphero to drive around obstacles to land on the hole.


To prepare students for the event videos directions were shares prior to their visit along with a list of apps they were to have downloaded.

I received great reviews from both students and teachers, some even taking the time to share their appreciation through cards and signs. That was proof enough that I should continue with this event and continue to develop it as well.

The next hurdle will be to get these devices into the hands of students either through their content area teachers or allowing them to checkout the technology to use at home. Numerous students returned asking when they will do this activity again and many were willing to give up their lunch/recess to learn more about coding. Time to leverage this enthusiasm! 


4 comments:

  1. Fantastic ideas! This is inspiring. Thanks for sharing! This really does take it to the next level for students who have done Hour of Code online for several years. Question: How did you schedule the stations? How did students choose and how long did they spend at each station? Thanks John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Hella, I had STEM teachers create their own schedule. I saw one or two teams per day (3 or 4 classes). In the future I would make sure there is a buffer time between classes to reorganize stations.

      Teachers were asked to pair students up and number them prior to arriving. Each station was numbered as well. Upon arrival I would go over each station explaining the objective. When I was done each group would go to the station that matched their number. I had a rotation figured out and followed it for the most part, but if a class was smaller it was easier to let them choose where to go. For most classes I would let each group know where they would rotate to next (after about 15 mins) and they could choose where to go on their final rotation as long as the station was available.

      Always kinks to work out, but overall is was a hit!

      Delete
    2. Thanks ! I need to think about how to make this work with a fixed schedule of 50 minute classes. I'm sure it can be done, perhaps spread out over a few weeks. I know they would love it!

      Delete